Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Crimson Thorns



        It is a wet, foggy morning in late November. The smell of freshness and rain is everywhere, and a gentle morning breeze blows. I can hear a variety of sounds, from the leaves which are softly falling, to a bird’s faint chirping and the crows loud cawing. Turning towards a tree bare of leaves, I notice clear drops of water hanging like crystals at the end of each twig.
            I stoop to investigate a small thorny plant growing nearby. It is a blackberry plant, and has a crimson stem. Adding still more to its beauty, the leaves are framed with the same color as the stem. With a little amazement I notice that a mixture of groundcover and plantain grows underneath the slightly tall plant. Plantain is round-leafed, with no thorns. As I look, it dawns on me that here is an obvious lesson. The thorns are trials. They are stained with crimson-blood. They are thorny. They hurt. That is not all, though. Underneath are comforting, soft and beautiful blessings. “All things work together for good to those who love God; to those who are called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28 

1 comment:

Emerald said...

I wrote this when I was 11. It was the first story I wrote.